Well. First of all – a lot of things. YouTube itself is awesome and I use it daily to watch videos and learn new stuff about the topics I care about. Also, of course I’m trying to make something out of myself as well on that platform and after years of doing nothing but mistakes, I think I’m finally starting to learn and accept things. Or if not, they bug the hell out of me, som now it’s time for some ranting again about the biggest and most annoying things about YouTube that I’d really like to change. Or make Google change, at least. Most of this stuff is out of my hands completely.
No.1 – Moving videos between channels
I recently created a new channel, made for vlogs and video games mainly. Or basically any other type of video that is not about Great Danes. It’s sort of a “my other channel”, so it’s not my main one. The one about dogs is. The big problem I have there is compiled of different sets of issues that no matter what I do about it – I’ll lose a lot. I’ll fill you in below.
My channel, “In the mind of a Great Dane maniac” was before connected to another G+ page and had the name “Aimee Vlogs”. Before that it was called “Aimee Vlogs (in English & Swedish). It’s had a lot of names and had the tagline – “Shitty vlogging at its best!”, because I really was a shitty vlogger. Nobody cared – until I finally got my teeth fixed with the Inman Aligner dental braces treatment. Then my subscribers, viewers and comments grew like hell. Especially the views. That’s awesome. Thanks to that success, I finally got brave enough to move the channel into the direction I’ve wanted all these years – into having a channel all about Great Danes. So far, so good?
Keeping it relevant for everybody
Now, I’d like to move all my former videos to my other channel, since those videos have nothing to do with Great Danes. None whatsoever. How can I do this? By losing. Either views or subscribers. Perhaps both. It makes sense to have themed channels on YouTube. That is how you succeed. I’ve also overcomed my “fear” of having multiple channels. The reason I feared it before was due to struggles with getting notifications properly and getting subscribers. The subs part is always a struggle though, as long as you’re boring. The notifications part I fixed a while back. I’d just like to have the best of both worlds. People interested in Great Danes to be subscribed to this channel, and people more interested in my life in general or other vlogs and videos to be subscribed to that channel. It’s better that way.
The struggles, besides getting noticed
Ok, so how do I fix this issue? Like I’ve said before. By losing. As long as YouTube does not let you move videos properly between channels that you own, this is a struggle we all face who owns several channels, where one is more popular than the other. This is how you’ll fix it today, by doing one of these 3 options below:
- Download all your videos that you’d like to move, re-upload them to the channel you want. Lose all the views, comments and other shit that came with it and hope people will keep watching and commenting. If you have many videos this will also be a very time consuming challenge as well.
- Start another channel and do everything you can to notify your subscribers and let them know you’re moving. Hope that all of them follows you. In my case they’d probably not. I’m to scared to even try.
- Wait and ignore all the subscribers waiting for Inman Aligner vlogs when all you’ll upload are Great Dane related videos. If I’d take a guess, 99% of all my current subscribers are there due to the Inman Aligner videos, or because they’re friends of mine and care enough either way to watch what I’ll upload.
No.2 – Why you can’t move videos, when you can move entire channels?!
Since over a year ago, moving a channel to either a G+ profile (now, really to your Google account) or a G+ page was made possible. And it should only be a matter of time before YouTube lets you move videos and let you keep all the views, comments and all that other shit that came with it. The question is – can we wait that long? Or really, can I wait that long? I’m struggling each day I sit in front of my YouTube channel to think – should I do it anyway – move all the videos and lose all the views, comments and other stuff? For now I’ve managed to wait and that’s probably good. I have notified my subscribers that I’ve got a new channel, but basically none have cared. Still I try not to be bothered with it. It’s really frickin’ hard, but I’m doing my best to not obsess with getting views and subscribers.
No. 3 – The disconnection between Google+ and YouTube
In July last year, YouTube and Google announced that connecting G+ with YouTube was a massive failure and that they’ve listened to our feedback. Soon you’d be able to disconnect and remove your G+ profile and YouTube would return to what it was before. Ok, some stuff has remained – the good stuff we liked. Me, on the other hand absolutely loved the G+/YouTube integration, but right now and since this news, I’ve been waiting for the disconnection to happen. And what Google means by “Soon” is more like = “This is gonna take forever”.
I love Google+, I really, really do. It’s awesome, but recently it’s become boring since people are fleeing the place like crazy, or at least just the Swedes… That makes me sad. However. The reason I’m waiting for the disconnection to happen, for pages now, since the G+ profiles have disconnected is… I have no idea. I’m just really frickin’ curios as to what will happen to my channel when it does. What I’d like to see is this:
- The Legacy url system coming back. I really dislike the way you claim a custom url today. It’s like either have a gazillion subscribers or buy a url that you might not need. What kind of logic is that? And a gazillion subs is actually 100, but if I would ever make that mark – I’d be the happiest person on the planet, since I’ve struggled for years to get a decent channel. I haven’t even reached that yet…
- My G+ page that is connected to my GD channel, can go back and act as a page for my blog in Swedish again. That means with the new translations features I can change the name of the channel as often as I’d like and the G+ page won’t be bothered.
- Some other amazing thing I haven’t thought about yet.
Now, how do you feel about this? I know I’m not the only one asking for the moving of videos feature on YouTube. A lot of people have been asking this over the years and all the videos claiming moving videos is possible (like the way it should be handled) are lying. It’s basically only downloading, re-uploading and losing all the stuff that came with the video. The video below has probably the best “today” solution for this. It adds something to the original videos, where she shortens them and ads a message that the full video can be seen “over there” instead of here. That would take a lot of time, but if YouTube never lets us have the option to move entire videos with all the analytics attached to it – then this is certainly the way to go.
Another video on YouTube talks about this as well. It’s a fairly new channel on YouTube called Idea of the day. Check out his video below:
So… What’s your idea about all of this? Let me know in a comment below and keep a look out for new videos coming up on both my channels.