I’ll continue with my obsessive iOS, Apple vs Android talk. I can’t stop, as you might as well know. And it’s all getting worse as time moves on. It doesn’t help that I know I can’t spend money on new things. It does not help either that I’ve sort of found a way to get an iPhone 8 plus without breaking the bank too much. And also, it certainly does not help that I lost my job and will become “poorer” even if I’m a student in the fall.
It would be a lifelong dream come true, since I’ve always wanted to work and/or study computer science. My dream of doing that this years hangs on a really thin thread however. If I’ll be able to get a passing grade in my math class I’ve been struggling with during this spring, I might have a teeny, tiny chance of getting accepted to one of the college applications I’ve made, but I guess it’d take a miracle for both those things to happen. If I will be able to get in to college in the fall, I’d be happy as hell, even with less money. Then it would all be worth it. As life is right now it is just “meh.” and I do not like it. Besides that I have wonderful people in my life and food on my table and other stuff without having to worry, there are so many other things I’m longing for right now and I’m so sick and tired of waiting.
If I do not get in, I’m either unemployed until I get a new job or get in to college during the next fall, or I’ll keep studying and go do math for a 4th time. Yeah, in case you didn’t know – this is the 3rd time I’m taking this class! The first two times, however, I wasn’t serious about it and didn’t need it. I just took the class for fun, but now it’s like life or death scenario. I’m kicking myself pretty hard these days for not knowing back then how much I really do needed it for my future. If I had a passing grade already in math, I’d already most likely be a developer of some sorts, but I am not and because of crappy choices I’ve made I have to go back to school, 4 years after graduation because I will not get a full-time, passionate job otherwise. With my current situation, I’ll only be able to work part-time with administration or something and I’d like to try and do more with my life and earn a lot more money to boot.
It all depends on a passing grade in math right now. And all I can think of is that I want an iPhone. It’s a bad feeling. I hate it. It should be a miracle that I managed to keep using the Mac mini as my main computer and that i have an iPad to play around with, but no. That’s not enough… I desperately want an iPhone. No other phone will do right now. I really dislike Android. I do not trust Google. You can read why here, in case you’ve missed my reasons for all that.
When I say I want an iPhone, it’s not hugely important that it’s an iPhone 8 plus. Of course, that’s the phone I’d most likely get if I get the chance, but I’m also contemplating getting the SE, even though it’s so frickin’ tiny. I’ve stated in my last post that it’s not a bad phone, but I really dislike the size of the screen and Apple did not release a new rumoured version of the SE either at WWDC 2018. It’s sort of like this:
Benefits of the iPhone 8 plus:
- Bigger screen
- It’s the latest iPhone to get (besides the X, of course)
- It has wireless charging
- No headphone jack (yeah, I’d probably wouldn’t mind skipping that one)
- Easier to type? (because of the bigger screen?)
- Better camera (Studio Light, Portrait mode etc)
- Better battery life (than both the X and the SE)
- Perhaps also better reception due to the glass back?
Benefits of the iPhone SE:
- Cheap as hell (could buy it in one go without to much financial damage, or just get a cheap payment plan, without breaking the bank)
- Easier to hold?
- it’s an iPhone!
Downside of the iPhone 8 plus:
- More expensive
- Might be too big and/or heavy? It’s the same size as the Nexus 6P and that one was almost too big, but you get use to it. I’d rather have a bigger phone, now that I know I have pants with big enough pockets to fit the phone in.
Downsides of the iPhone SE:
- So tiny with huge bezels!
- Great camera, but no special benefits like Portrait mode etc
- It’s an older model, two years+ as of writing this
Benefits of both phones:
- They’re iPhones
- They’re not Android crap! Aka I’ll probably get a more reliable smartphone experience
- I’ll get better privacy options
- iMessage & FaceTime! Huge benefit in regards to communicating with my family. They all have iPhones!
- Both will be supported and fully functional for many years to come. The SE will most likely get iOS updates for at least 3-4 more years and the 8 plus for at least 4-5 years.
- I can talk to Siri and/or dictate in Swedish with my accent. That does not work with Android!
- Both work seamlessly with the Mac mini and iMovie etc. It’s amazing, really! ecosystem for the win! Android and Windows can not even compare!
- A gazillion other reasons, such as all the cases and accessories you could get and customise them on the outside. It’s a bit hard to do that unless you have a crappy Samsung phone if you go with android… I’d love to have a phone that I could show off with a personal logo, or a favourite photo of mine etc. See an example below:
So what’s the conclusion, then?
Well. I do not know. Not until I get an OK from the BF that I can spend money on a new phone I won’t get either one. I’m sort of to scared to talk to him about it, because of whatever reasons. It’s my money to spend, of course, but I’m guessing that he’d both understand why I want this and also feel a bit betrayed because I’m spending “promised” money on something I don’t really need. And I have mentioned his dislikes about Apple products, but we’ll se. I will not do anything without his approval. Now, that might seem that he rules over me like I’m his slave or something, but nothing could be further from the truth. I owe him a lot. He’s a great boyfriend and I would be nothing without him and I’d basically do anything for him. It means a lot for me to do things with his approval. About 99% of the time we agree on everything we should do or buy, so why not in this case? Because I made a promise – that’s why! Even though it was my own choice… And you already know how “ashamed” I feel about my Apple obsession that just won’t stop.
But that bugs me daily and it keeps me from focusing on other things besides math. More on that later. At the moment it feels like basically everything we own breaks or does not work properly. Besides the Mac mini then, and the iPad that is… My Android phone is buggy, lags and stutters like crazy, and it is unresponsive several times a day. Also with the knowledge that I now have of Google makes me wanna puke and get everybody I know to switch to Apple. It’s so sickening with this privacy and AI crap. Apple can do all that without spying on people… C’mon Google! WTF?!
I should also point out that exploring macOS and using the iPad for various stuff has been really great. I feel it has helped me to focus more on the math class, since I no longer wonder what macOS is like and how to use iMessage etc. It’s a lot of fun, and I like that iTunes and the Podcast app syncs as well and the built-in email client in macOS has helped me use Gmail without thinking about the privacy issues, so that’s also great.
Ok, if I check the list and explain a little bit more of my obsession with this it should go a little bit like this:
I’d love to have an iPhone and I am certain that no matter what phone I would get, I’d be happy with it. I mean, anything would probably be better than Android right now. I also have to mention a thing I’ve found out that totally changes everything. It’s not uncommon that people these days get smartphones a long with a payment plan. It’s how a lot of people manage to afford the iPhone X, for example.
For me, it’s a little bit different, for basically two reasons. The first reason is that I’ve sort of made a promise to myself that I would never, ever again get anything on a payment plan. Besides the obvious that is, like a mortgage etc. The promise is basically that I will never ever again get a payment plan for technology or stuff. That’s because of one of my ex boyfriends that fucked up my life totally money-wise.
It’s all fine and dandy as of now and it has been for over 5-6 years or so, even though I’m getting poor again, because of lack of jobs and hopefully becoming a student. I’m the “poor” one now, but together with the awesome current BF of almost 10 years, our lives are great and we are more rich than poor, really. The other reason for not getting payment plans for smartphones or technology is due to money and me being smart about spending it.
I prefer saving up and buying the stuff without having a bunch of loans etc to pay off. It’s cheaper in the long run. Also, I am a person who rarely makes phone calls and do 95% of surfing the web on wi-fi, so my phone bill is really low. It’s generally between $12 and $18 per month and I’d like it to not exceed that, if I’m honest. Basically all my phone calls go to family members as well and all of them (except the BF) have iPhones! At least the family on my side…
Most payment plans for an iPhone in Sweden right now is somewhere between $37 and $55 depending if you’d get the X or the 8 plus. And on top of that is often a really high phone bill of at least $22 or so depending on your carrier of choice. The “low” price of $22 is a set amount “all-you-can-spend” phone buffet per month, but many carriers in Sweden usually have at least doubled that price. It’s more likely the norm to have a phone bill these days around $100, including a payment plan for a smartphone so I’m really on the low-end here.
I have gone with one of the cheaper carriers, so that’s why I’ve managed to have such a low phone bill. Basically, my point is that a payment plan with a set amount is at least $60 or so, and that’s not cheap. For me, personally that means I’ll get $40 less to save every month, so it’s not really an option for me.
However, the thing I’ve come to know is really mind boggling. It’s something I thought wasn’t possible to do any longer in Sweden, but it turns out it is. It is possible to make a down payment on your payment plan and also you could pay the rest of it whenever you’d like as well and keep your original and current plan with the carrier. It’s sort of amazing. That means that I’m in a situation that sort of looks like this:
Scenario 1, I’ll get the iPhone 8 plus:
- I’ll make a down payment of $608 or so (which is the equivalent to what I’d spend on the OnePlus 6 if I should have gotten that one instead)
- The rest, which is $400 or so without AppleCare+ I’d setup in a payment plan that spans for 24 months and/or pay it off before that when I feel I can afford to.
- The monthly bill for my phone bill would then be the original $17 plus an additional $16 or so, which would be more satisfactory for my wallet. I don’t spend much money and that I’d personally could live with. Having a working phone is like all I ever need, or something so that in itself is not that expensive.
Scenario 2, I’ll get the iPhone SE:
- I’ll get the whole phone on a payment plan and do not pay anything upfront, except for maybe 25 cents or so. Then the monthly bill would be a total of $27 for 24 months, unless I’d pay it off in advance.
- Or, I’ll buy the whole phone at once which I could get for as little as $367, which is a lot less than $608 that I’d originally plan to spend on an iPhone if I’d get one.
What would you choose if you were in my shoes?
No matter what, I’d get a customised case and a screen protector for my phone, just because I can and because it’s a must. I do not know id I’d get AppleCare, but it would surely be recommended if I’d end up getting the 8 Plus.
And this was another long post. I might have to change my tagline… Long rants about veganism and Apple?😂